Episode 2

The sweetest moment

Waves crashed upon the desert shore and the bluest of the skies was entirely reflected on the ocean water, revealing all the perfection of God’s creation. At first, the beach seemed deserted and its white sand looked like a bright carpet. But a closer look revealed one single a beautiful auburn lady not far from where the waves broke.

Barefoot, wearing a long white sleeveless dress, Monica walked along the sand and was suddenly distracted by a white dove that gracefully floated in the air. At that moment an unexpected gust of wind took her hat away from her head. With a startled yelp, the Irish angel turned around and was ready to go after one of her favourite accessories when she saw a tall, handsome man, with short blond hair and sparkling green eyes, walking in her direction. He was also smiling and gazing at her with tenderness, and managed to catch her hat before the wind could take it away. In his other hand, there was a beautiful rose and Monica didn’t waste any time in rushing towards him.

“Andrew!”

Some seconds later, she wrapped her arms around Andrew’s neck in a warm embrace. He also held her tightly, burring his face in her auburn locks, completely intoxicated by her sweet perfume.

“I missed you so much... So badly I sometimes felt like crying...” she said, almost in a whisper, resting her head on his shoulder.

“Oh, Monica... I missed you too...” he replied, running his fingers through her hair and feeling like never letting her go from his arms again, “And during these three months we’ve been apart, I included this moment in my prayers...”

With a crying smile, she nodded her head. “I’m so glad that our loving Father made it possible again.”

He pulled away just enough to look into her bright brown eyes. “So am I, angel. As a matter of fact, even if I had to spend the rest of eternity thanking Him for having you right here with me, it wouldn’t be enough...”

Shedding some tears of happiness, she placed her hand on his cheek, softly caressing his face, “You’re such a good friend; who brings so much joy and comfort to my heart...”

He gently lay both hands on each side of her face and brushed a long, loving kiss on her forehead. Monica closed her eyes for a minute, enjoying that sweet caress and feeling butterflies in her stomach with that tender contact. That sudden and totally unknown feeling was back again, causing her heartbeats to accelerate. Where was it coming from after all? When did it start? Or had it always been there, inside her heart?

Andrew found himself lost in the same sensation: a mix of nervousness, excitement and uncertainty. To the blond angel, holding Monica was like holding the most precious thing in the entire world and that sensation was just wonderful.

And if all those questions were like a turmoil on the angels’ minds, there was one thing they were definitely sure of: all the happiness they felt for being in each other’s arms.

Andrew finally looked down at her and smiled, “Let’s go for a walk?”

Gazing back at him, never losing contact with his eyes, she nodded her head, “Yes!”

x

Hand in hand, the two angels walked along the deserted beach enjoying each and every second of each other’s company. They talked for hours about past assignments and the joy of having the Father’s work accomplished. Then, they chatted about other unimportant things. The wide smile upon their contented faces was only a tiny evidence of the great happiness they both shared. Suddenly, Monica let go of his hand and gave some steps ahead of him, “Andrew...”

“Yes?”

“Let's see if I can race you until the dock!” she shouted, already running and leaving him behind.

“Hey! That’s cheating!” he complained, with totally mock indignation, and started to run after her. But the blond angel wasn’t in a hurry to catch his dearest friend. Much on the contrary, Andrew purposefully gave her a small advantage only to watch her, enjoying the magical sound of her laughter. Only when they were close to an old wooden dock, overlooking the vast ocean ahead, did he grab her by the waist and lifted her in his strong arms, laughing at her startled cry. “Now, let’s see... Where did you say you would race me?”

“... that’s cheating!” she managed to say, hardly controlling her own laughter.

The expression on the blond angel’s face turned to be a mischievous one, “Look who’s talking!”

Monica couldn’t stop laughing and wrapped her arms around his neck, snuggling close to him as he carried her along the dock.

“I should make you jump in the water so that you would really be the first!”

“No! Please, Andrew!” she tightened her embrace and, despite her giggles, it was possible to see a trace of fear in her eyes.

Feeling somewhat guilty for saying something like that, he stopped walking and shoot her a loving look, “I’m joking, angel. I wouldn’t do it with you! Never!”

Andrew heaved a sigh of relief when the smile upon her pretty face became wider. “Besides, I’d much rather have you right here with me, in my arms!” he exclaimed, giving her a gentle squeeze and placing a kiss on her forehead, which caused her to blush.

“There’s no other place I’d rather be!” the Irish angel replied, enjoying the feeling of his arms holding her.

They sat by the edge of the dock and, still holding each other, watched the ocean for a long time.

“But we still have to take a day off so that I can teach you how to swim!” the blond angel spoke, gently caressing her arm.

“That would be lovely!” his dearest friend replied, resting her head on his shoulder and still holding the red rose he had given her. “It’s not that I’m afraid of the water as I used to be, you know. I can say that now I have a... a healthy respect for it...”

“There’s nothing wrong with that; in fact I guess you’re right.”

Monica smiled, her emotions in check once more: “Have you noticed how you’re always there to reassure me?” she spoke, feeling butterflies in her stomach at the feeling of him kissing her temple.

“It’s my pleasure...” he bent his head so that he could face her, “Besides, I guess the Father knows very well what He was doing when He put us together because, whenever I need, you’re also there to bring back my confidence.”

The Irish angel also turned her head and stared at his sparkling green eyes: it wasn't just his words that made her feel great – his loving presence made her feel safe, happy and much blessed. And then Monica finally understood, or simply admitted, that it could only be love.

“I’m so grateful you’re here, Andrew... Sometimes I feel like you’re part of me... of who I am...” she spoke, some tears of emotion already forming in the corner of her eyes.

Andrew softly stroked her cheek, their faces were just a few inches from each other, “You have no idea what’s like to hear it from you... of how happy and blessed I feel, Monica. And you can be sure that I carry you right here in my heart, always. Whenever we’re apart and I’m feeling sad, it’s the memory of your laughter that makes me smile... Your kind words and the joy you transmit are all here, in my mind, in my soul.” He placed some strands of hair behind her ears and sighed deeply, as if gathering all his courage and feeling a lump forming in his throat. But there was no way to return; he had to say it, he couldn’t hide his feelings anymore, “... And your face, your kindness, your loving spirit... I love you, Monica.”

The Irish angel felt her heart pounding loudly in her chest; a mix of different emotions taking control over her soul and for a moment she even thought it couldn’t be true. Some tears made their way down on her cheeks and she lowered her eyes for a second. But Andrew cupped her chin and made her look at him again. “I never thought that I could have such feeling... I don’t even know how long I’ve been carrying it with me... but... but the truth is that I love you deeply, with all my soul.”

Monica’s eyes were fixed in his own and his sincerity and exposed emotions seemed to hypnotise her, as this time she didn’t look away. All the love the blond angel had confessed to her was written on his face, deep inside his sparkling green eyes and at that moment it was all that mattered to her.

“Andrew...” she whispered, before he leaned down and his lips touched hers; a tender and sweet caress that represented the feeling the angels had been sharing maybe since they had first met.

They soon pulled away, but just a few inches from each other, still astonished with what had just happened.

“I... I guess... I guess I love you, too, Andrew... Oh, God, is this really happening to us?” she whispered, gently placing her hand on his cheek. Andrew was in a complete state of awe to hear that. He had been waiting for that moment for so long, and had even been afraid he could face her rejection. But the fear vanished completely at the sound of those few words that came from her mouth.

They inched their faces forward again and their lips met one more time, now in a long, loving kiss. Both angels were sure there couldn’t be anything sweeter in this entire world. Monica felt one of his arms encircling her waist, bringing her even closer to him, while he ran his fingers through her auburn locks. And Andrew was also grateful when she wrapped her arm around his neck, while still stroking his face with her other hand, openly accepting that sweet caress.

They felt like frozen in time, and secretly wished that sweet moment would never end.

To be continued.