Episode 31

Precious moments

I drive along the winding roads that cross the hills and lead to the beach, and my full attention on the path ahead stops me from admiring this beautiful scenery. Being in human form for a while makes me feel weary after some nights of tension and expectation. On my tired face, however, I carry a smile that will never be erased; and in my heart, a feeling that I never thought I would experience: love in its plenitude.

I hear a little noise, and my smile turns broader as the reason for all my joy is standing right behind me, in the back seat of Tess' Cadillac. As an angel, I've witnessed all sorts of miracles performed by my Father. Yet, never in my long existence would I imagine I'd have the honour to be granted the most beautiful of them. Little Angela is awake, and in her small crib, she moves her tiny arms and emits some of those baby sounds that reach deep inside one's heart. And my beloved Monica is standing right next to her, smiling at our daughter, and watching over her.

An angel to watch over another angel. And, God forgive me, but I can't help feeling that they're both mine, like a well-kept precious treasure that I will forever take care of.

As I finally park the Cadillac in front of the beach house, we get out of the car. My heart is moved with tenderness and other loving feelings I couldn't possibly describe at the vision of Monica taking our baby daughter in her arms and showing her to me.

"Look, daddy, I didn't sleep! Can't wait to see the beach house!" she jokes, as I bend my head to admire our little one once again. I kiss her forehead and tiny hand, also whispering loving words to her.

Worried about the wind that constantly blows, even though it is a mere breeze now, I urge them to move to inside the house. Monica enters first, carrying our baby wrapped up in a beautiful white blanket. Angela is wearing a white dress that matches woollen socks and a cardigan, all of them knitted by Tess. Our dearest friend is away on a quick assignment, but she promised she would return soon. In a way, Angela became her granddaughter, and anyone can see she definitely can't stay apart from her for a long time.

But this wonderful angel of God left us a present. As I enter the house carrying a few bags, Monica calls my attention to a note left on the coffee table. It's from Tess, and the surprise she prepared us makes my beloved angel cry with emotion.

"Dear babies,

I hope you two and my angel baby girl are all fine.

As she will spend the first weeks of her existence on Earth, I prepared her a cosy little room so she can have a good time.

I know she'll love my décor: it's delicate and soothing, like a new-born angel should be. I'm sure she'll have only good dreams in it.

I love you all.

Tess."

We immediately walk along the corridor, opening the first door on its right. Tess is right: the interior of the room is so beautifully decorated that the atmosphere surrounding it is truly a heavenly one. The wooden furniture is simple but beautiful: our little daughter has a crib, a small wardrobe for her clothes and other utensils, and a cute rotating mobile right above the crib, with flying little angels and fluffy clouds hanging on it. The walls are painted with a soft, soothing shade of yellow, and there are some toys spread on a few shelves, and a colourful carpet on the floor.

"Oh, Tess... I love her so much, Andrew..." I hear my beloved Monica saying, in between sobs, as she walks into the room carrying Angela. Smiling, I nod and lay my arms on her small shoulders. "I know, angel... I love her just the same... I guess she's the closest thing to a mother to both of us..."

We hear another baby sound and, with our hearts bursting with love, we turn our eyes to our daughter, who is moving her tiny little arms. "I guess she wants to say that Tess is the closest thing to a grandma to her!" I add, and Monica lets out a chuckle, which is also a half sob.

And Angela makes her mother cry again when she slowly opens her eyes and smiles at us: it's the first time she manages to do it, and it's also her first smile.

"Andrew... look..."

I grin with happiness and kiss Monica's cheek as we notice our little baby is looking at us while she smiles. Although she's still very little, it's possible to notice the dimples on her rosy cheeks and chin; the meek Gaelic features I grew accustomed to admire for hours non stop. I also notice that Monica is blushing deeply, at the same time contented and embarrassed at the strong resemblance between mother and daughter.

"I am looking, angel... and she's just as gorgeous as someone I know!"

She gazes at me apologetically, and insists, "But she has your eyes! See? The beautiful green eyes I love to gaze at!"

I move around to stay in front of her and my hand strokes Monica's cheek with tenderness. "Yes... but despite the colour of her eyes, nothing could make me happier than seeing most of your traits reflected on her... She's perfect... a perfect little miracle..."

Moved with emotion, Monica nods and kisses our daughter's forehead. "She is..."

Angela's smile grows wider as Monica touches her tiny nose with her own.

"... and I guess now she's saying hi to her mom and dad, and that she loves her room!" I joke, also kissing her little head, and Monica's lips.

x

"... a wee case worker! After all, you've been a caseworker, I am one, her grandma is a caseworker supervisor... I'd say it's in the blood!"

As I chuckle at my beloved Monica's conclusions about Angela's future, she turns to look at me half indignantly, half amused. Our little one is peacefully sleeping in her new bedroom, and both Monica and I took the time to rest for a while. In my arms, she rests peacefully, using my chest as a pillow. And despite our tiring previous days, I refuse to fall asleep, as it seems I can't get enough of her beauty and lovely features. How I love her! Words will never be enough to express how incredibly great my love is or how incredibly great she makes me feel.

"What?"

Her inquisitive expression gazing up at me only makes her even more adorable to me; Monica inspires in me feelings that I didn't even know existed.

"Nothing, angel, I just... I'm just thinking how great it is that we're both lying here and wondering about our daughter's future... Some years ago, I'd say it was impossible..." I caress her pretty face as I keep on talking, "... but I used to think so because I didn't know you..."

With her eyes sparkling with love, my dear angel reaches out and covers my hand with hers, leaning on my touch and closing her eyes. Our lips meet on the following second, in a soul-touching kiss. I entangle my fingers through her soft auburn hair and tighten the hold around her body, treasuring that tender moment as if it was the last. That sweet caress became small kisses spread all over her face.

"I love you..." I whisper in her ear, and she gazes at me with those sweet sparkling pools that always managed to say a hundred loving words to me. "I know..."

I take her hand and kiss its back, and caress her face once again, "Rest now, angel..."

Monica snuggles close to my body and rests her head over my chest again, sighing deeply with a mix of peace and exhaustion; she's very tired too, and I hope she can fall asleep and rest as much as she can. I'll watch over her and our baby, like a loyal guardian. I promised myself I would always do it.

But soon another sound breaks the silence and Monica's eyes pop open in a second: our baby's cries coming from the other room makes us both immediately alert. My beloved angel's first impulse is to sit up in bed, ready to go to Angela but I stop her. "I'll get her, angel."

Although I try to sound calm, I practically rush to our daughter's bedroom, not wanting her to feel upset not even for a moment. As I reach out and gather Angela in my arms, her crying subsides a little, and she looks at me with a cute pleading face that melts my heart away. I kiss her little head and whisper softly to her.

"Shh... it's okay, little one! It's alright... I'll take you to your mom, sweetie!"

As I enter our room, Monica holds up her arms and I carefully deposit our little angel over to her; then I cross to the other side of the bed and climb in again, wrapping my arm around my beloved wife's shoulders, watching with deep emotion as she nurses our little Angela. Listening as she whispers soothing words to our baby, I kiss her temple and speak lowly. "You two look so beautiful, angel... It's possibly one of the most beautiful images I've ever seen in my existence."

Monica leans her head against my shoulder and sighs. "It's possibly one of the happiest moments of my existence..."

"Of mine too..." I say, feeling a lump forming in my throat.

We fall into an easy silence, listening to the small suckling noises coming from Angela and the beating of the three hearts. I gaze down at my wife and child, in awe at the beautiful picture of them together, and lift a silent prayer of thanks to our Creator. I know there is a purpose in all this, which will be clear in this little angel's future. But right now all I can do is rejoice for the grace that He conceded me.

My smile is still there. And so is a mix of protectiveness and deep love for my two angel girls. My joy is indescribable with words, but can be felt straight into their hearts, because when I least expect it, Monica turns her eyes from Angela to me, her smile matching mine as she speaks. "We love you too... Very much... And forever..."

I bend my head and kiss her lips gently. Existence couldn't be sweeter.

To be continued