Episode 24

Don’t take your love away from me

It was past 9 in the morning when Andrew heard the noise of Tess’ car parked outside the cabin. Lifting a prayer of thanks, the blond angel carefully disentangled from Monica’s embrace and left their bedroom. Although she had been sleeping quietly for the last few hours, he was terrified with the possibility of having to transfer her to a hospital and with the diagnosis for her sudden disease.

“Tess...” he said, as the supervisor entered through that door, and anyone could tell by the expression on his face that it’d been a difficult night.

“Angel boy... I knew there was something wrong at the moment I received the call to meet you here... What happened? Where’s Monica?”

Sighing deeply, he ran his fingers through his blond hair, “She’s sleeping now but the truth is that she’s not ok, Tess. She... fainted in my arms when we were outside and this night she woke up with a nightmare and got so sick that I spent like 10 minutes in the bathroom, holding her while she was throwing up.”

Tess frowned with deep worry to hearing that, “Oh, dear Father! We do need to do something, that poor baby must’ve caught some human disease, we have to find that out!”

“I suggested her going Home but, as she knows I have to stay here on Earth for a while working on this assignment, she refuses saying that she doesn’t want to stay away from me...” he sighed deeply with exhaustion, “... and... for the last couple of hours I’ve been requested to go back there though I... I just can’t leave her here, Tess...”

The oldest angel nodded her head, “I know you’ve been requested and that you don’t want to leave her, but I’m here now, Andrew... I was told that you needed me, you both needed me here and you know how much I love that angel girl lying there... She’s the closest thing to a daughter to me...”

“I know... and I feel terrible for disobeying the Father like that...”

“No, angel boy... He knows how much you love Monica, baby, and He can see the anguish inside your heart. But you’re also a God’s servant and have your responsibilities...”

Feeling the presence of tears in the corner of his eyes, he lowered his head for a moment, trying to find the strength to fulfil his assignment. Then, he faced the supervisor again, all his pain visible in the anguished expression on his face, “Please, take care of her for me, Tess?”

“That’s what I’ve been doing all this time, until the day I myself made you two meet each other...”

A slight, bittersweet smile appeared on his handsome face as that day came back to his memory, and unable to say much, Andrew held the older angel tightly. “Thank you...”

In the silence of their bedroom, Monica slept quietly now, exhausted by the events of that troubled night. In silence, Andrew tiptoed up to the bed and sat down at its edge, the traces of his own exhaustion also visible in the expression on his face. Very carefully, he reached out and tugged some strands of hair behind her ear, caressing her cheek with tenderness.

“... angel... only God knows how I wish to stay close to you right now...” he whispered, his voice almost inaudible to his own ears. A sad tear rolled down his handsome face as he held her hand. “... I know you understand... I know you want me to do my work as a God’s servant... but all this time, be sure you’ll be in my thoughts, as you’ve always been, ok?” he kissed the back of her hand, “I promise I’ll be back soon, baby... Tess will take good care of you meanwhile.”

He leaned over and brushed a loving kiss on her forehead, and the light contact with Monica’s skin made it even more difficult to leave the cabin. “I love you, Monica... You’re my heart...” He also kissed the back of her hand and reluctantly stood up from the bed. After some brief moments contemplating her sleeping image, the blond angel finally left the bedroom, carefully closing the door behind him.

X

Monica woke up some hours later, still not feeling completely recovered, yet, feeling a lot better. Sensing Andrew’s absence inside the cabin, and therefore an inch of sadness inside her heart, she tentatively sat down in bed, and was preparing to stand up when Tess came through the door.

“Angel girl, where do you think you’re going all alone?”

Finally a smile appeared on her pale face, “Tess... I didn’t know you were here...”

The older angel walked up to the bed and sat down beside her, “Well, did you think Andrew would leave you here all alone?”

“Oh... no, I know he wouldn’t... but I also know he had an assignment to fulfil...”

“Yes, and as you were not feeling well I came here to take care of you! How are you, baby?”

The Irish angel sighed and shrugged her shoulders, “Well... I... I’m feeling a wee bit better now, you know...”

“Angel boy told me what happened here during the night... Baby, you have to go back Home to...”

“Oh, no... please, Tess, don’t make me! Andrew is here, I know he’s been on this assignment at the hospital and it’ll take him some time to finish it... I don’t want to stay away from him!” she said, with a pleading tone in her voice. Feeling sorry for her dearest friend, Tess nodded her head, “I understand it, baby. But, then I’ll take you to a hospital! You sure must have some human disease, as you’ve been in human form for a long time.”

“Yes... probably... But erm... Can we go later? I’m kind of hungry now, you know...”

Tess raised her eyebrows with some surprise, “Well, it’s good to hear it! I prepared you something, but I thought you wouldn’t want to eat it...”

“Oh, I do! And I’m sure it’s delicious!”

Tess rolled her eyes and stood up, “Come on then, I’ll help you.”

The Irish angel took her proffered hand and got up from her bed, happy to have her dear friend with her.

X

Monica ate not only the lunch that Tess had prepared her but the leftovers of a dessert that was in the fridge, prepared by her beloved Andrew a day before. The two angels were sitting at the table in the kitchen and, while she ate, the supervisor looked at her with an intrigued expression, “... I don’t know what’s come over you, baby, but it sure didn’t affect your appetite!”

The youngest angel sighed, “I know it’s strange... I’ve been feeling this way for a while, you know. Some days it seems everything is normal and that I’m recovered, but then, when I least expect it, I keep having weird sensations like dizziness and sickness... Sometimes they go away fast and then I don’t say anything to Andrew... I know he is deeply worried.”

“Well, he’s right in being worried, baby. We have to find out what kind of illness this is and a way to heal it as soon as possible. I saw the expression on angel boy’s face, he was deeply scared, and to be honest, so am I!”

Feeling somewhat guilty, Monica stopped eating and took the supervisor’s hand, “I’m sorry to make you both worry so much... I’ve been praying, you know... I’ve asked the Father to show me what to do in order to heal... The truth is that... I’m afraid too, Tess. I’m scared because I don’t know what’s causing this...”

Suddenly, they heard another voice from behind them, “And the Father heard your prayers...”

Both angels turned to see Gabriel, the angel of annunciation, standing by the entrance door. He had a warm smile on his face and gazed at youngest angel with admired eyes.

“Gabriel... what happened? What are you doing here?” Tess wanted to know, she and Monica not understanding the reason for his presence. He gave a few steps forward and stopped right in front of the Irish angel.

“I have to confess that I’m very happy to be here, Tess. Monica, I was sent here with a special assignment... A miracle has happened.” The angel announced, with a solemn and happy expression on his face.

“A miracle?”

“Yes. Never has this happened before... but I’m happy it did now and I’m happy to be the one to announce it...” Gabriel’s smile became wider and he looked at the supervisor, and then back at Monica, “...You carry a little child inside you, Monica."

Monica’s face drained of colour and she squeezed Tess’s hand assuring herself that it wasn’t another dream, and the old supervisor returned the squeeze, also not believing in what she had just heard. "Wh-what did you say, Gabriel?" her voice was weak, almost a whisper.

"You are pregnant. The Father is giving you this gift... this present you’ve dreamed of for so long but never voiced, never dared to ask for it...”

"A baby... I… I’m going to have a little baby?" Monica felt her entire body trembling with a mix of nervousness, excitement, fear and a multitude of loving feelings.

The angel of annunciation gave a step closer and caressed Monica’s hair, "Yes… a baby. I know you thought it wasn’t possible, but I’m happy to tell you you were wrong," he said gently, still smiling.

With tears falling from her eyes and rolling freely down her cheeks, she remained still, her brown pools fixed in an invisible point right ahead of her – now everything made sense: the dizziness, the sickness, the sudden appetite and the wish to eat chocolate a few weeks earlier. Then, she seemed to regain consciousness and nodded her head enthusiastically. “So it’s true!” she exclaimed, with a trembling voice combined with small sobs, “A little baby... Our little baby...”

How she wanted Andrew was there to hear it too. What would he think when she told him? How would he react? Considering the great affection the blond angel had for children it wasn’t difficult to guess what his reaction would be. Sobbing and crying with happiness, she looked at her dear friend and supervisor, the one she loved as a mother, and smiled, “Tess... I’m going to have a little baby! A baby, Tess!”

“Yes, angel girl, I’ve heard it! A little miracle of God now rests in here!” the oldest angel spoke, pointing to Monica’s still flat belly and also crying with emotion, happy to see the joy written on her charge’s face.

“A miracle... Yes... it can only be a miracle, right?” she spoke, already caressing her belly with the tenderness and affection of a mother. “Oh, Father, thank You! Thank you so much for this blessing!”

“Yes. A miracle, a gift from God because you and Andrew deserved this gift!”

“I need to see Andrew, he... oh, my goodness, he has no idea what’s happening! Poor him, Tess, he thinks I have some serious disease!” Monica spoke, suddenly standing up and hardly controlling her excitement.

“Yes, now that we know what’s causing the dizziness and the sickness, I’m sure angel boy will be not thrilled with the good news but also relieved to know there’s nothing wrong with you! I will...”

The supervisor stopped talking at the moment she and the others realised there was another angel in the room: Adam was standing by the door and from the expression on his face, one could see there was something wrong.

“Adam?”

“Tess... Gabriel...” he spoke, not managing to look at Monica.

“You here? What happened?” Tess wanted to know, frowning with concern.

He lowered his head, trying to find the right words. “I... I’m afraid I have some bad news to give you all... I’m terribly sorry...”

“Well, what is it? Tell us, please, we have an emergency here!” Tess urged, impatiently.

“Well... there was... a fire at the hospital where Andrew was working...” he started, and when she heard Andrew’s name, Monica’s heart started to beat faster, all her previous joy was replaced by a terrible feeling, “Andrew? What... what happened then, Adam? What happened to those people? What happened to Andrew?”

The angel of death placed his hand over her shoulder, and it was possible to see the tears in the corner of his eyes, “Andrew was there, Monica, and when the fire started he... he didn’t leave the building immediately, he started to help the ones who couldn’t get at the exit...”

“But... he did leave the building, right?” she asked, her voice trembling and the tears quickly rolling down her face.

Sighing deeply, Adam lowered his head and tried to motion for her to sit down again, “Please, Monica, stay calm...”

“No! Adam, please, tell me what’s wrong? What happened there? Where is Andrew?” she wanted to know, sobbing and fearing to hear his answer. Tess and Gabriel quickly wrapped a supportive arm around her waist and the supervisor turned to the angel of death, “Adam, please tell us what happened there? Where is angel boy?” her heart was racing exactly like Monica’s, due to the great love and affection she felt for the blond angel.

“Andrew... managed to save all the ones inside the building... his assignment and the other children are under observation now, they’ll be fine... But all this time he was in his human form and now he’s hurt, Monica...”

Monica’s heart jumped and the colour disappeared from her face, “What?!” she uttered, in shock.

“...the smoke caused an intoxication and he’s got scratches all over his body...”

He stopped speaking when the Irish angel broke into tears in her supervisor’s arms. How come two different pieces of news arrive at the same time? What would become of her if Andrew had to go Home now that she had to remain on Earth for months until their baby was born?

“Oh, my God!” the oldest angel spoke, with the same shocked expression on her face.

“Oh, Tess... Tess, I need to see him!” she pleaded desperately.

Tess gently held the Irish angel in her arms, “Shh! Calm down, baby, calm down, please! We don’t know the extension of the damages...”

“He’s hurt, Tess...” she sobbed, unable to control her crying.

“But we don’t know how much!” the older angel spoke, “What we need to do is to calm down first!”

“Oh God, I told him to go! I told him yesterday that I wouldn’t mind staying here alone while he worked on his assignment... I shouldn’t have said that! I had that awful dream at night, I knew something was wrong! I should’ve insisted!”

“There’s no way you could have guessed what was going to happen, baby! Please, try to calm down! Don’t forget you’re carrying a little baby in there!”

Monica placed her hand on her belly, “I’ll go there! he needs me!” tears never stopped from falling from her eyes.

“We’re all coming, baby. I’ll take my car keys...” Adam wrapped a supportive arm around Monica’s shoulders while Tess looked for her car keys. On his face, there was surprise and amazement at what he had just heard. “Dear Father...” he whispered, in shock.

When they left the cabin, Gabriel caressed the young angel’s face, “Have faith, Monica... Pray with all your heart and never forget that God’s plan is perfect...”

“Thank you, Gabriel...” she miserably spoke, still sobbing.

“I’ll pray for you... For all the three of you...” the angel of annunciation said, disappearing a second later. Tess, Monica and Adam left the cabin and drove up to the nearest town, where Andrew was.

To be continued.