Episode 19

My sweet valentine

“... you already had 4 cups only this morning and right now I’m sorry to inform you that your caffeine level has reached the maximum limit allowed to angels!” Andrew spoke, to a very surprised and clearly not pleased Monica, who eyed him with wide and shocked brown eyes.

“Andrew!”

“Monica!” he repeated, crossing his arms in front of her chest and blocking her entrance to the kitchen. They were in a small apartment rented near their assignment’s house, in a quiet and peaceful neighbourhood in Salt Lake City, and it was the 4th time the Irish angel crossed the kitchen door searching for more coffee. Somewhat fearing for her human condition, as they would have to stay in that form for some time, the blond angel decided that he should make his beloved Monica stop drinking her favourite beverage at least for that day.

She too crossed her arms and stared at him even more surprised, “I can’t believe you’re doing this to me! You’re... you’re denying me coffee!”

“Correction: I’m denying you more coffee, “Mrs”!” he replied, decided not to let her pass through that door, and not even his last word managed to put an end on her annoyance. “How can you? I’m... You’re... We are married!” she spoke, in a last attempt to have more of her favourite drink (and without a better excuse).

Those words only caused Andrew to chuckle, which made her even more annoyed, “This is not funny, Andrew!”

“I never told you that, but you look really cute when you get mad, angel!”

Monica’s eyebrows knitted together and it was possible to notice a trace of hurt in her soft brown eyes. “You’re making fun of me... I didn’t expect you to make fun of me...” she spoke, and for the first time Andrew could notice that she was sad.

“Hey, I’m not making fun of you, Monica! What I’m trying to do is to take care of your human form! You drank too much coffee today, it can cause you some harm and you are being stubborn not wanting to admit it!”

Her mouth dropped open when she heard that, “Stubborn? I’m not being stubborn and my human form is in very good condition, I can assure you!”

“That’s because Tess is always watching over you so that you don’t drink too much coffee and right now I’m joining her!”

But his words seemed to have the opposite effect on her and she was more and more hurt, “I know I’m not perfect...”

“I didn’t say that!” now Andrew was starting to get worried – sometimes, his dearest friend was way too sensitive and that was when he had to be really tactful with her, “You’re getting all wrong! And I don’t like the way this conversation is going!”

“I can see you don’t like it... I’ll leave then, as there is an assignment waiting for me outside and I’ll pray to be able to help her, even if I need other angels to keep an eye on me...”

“You are being stubborn again, Monica!” she heard him saying, before she left the apartment with a very hurt look on her face. The blond angel sighed deeply and ran his hand through his short blond hair, visibly annoyed, “Gosh! Why does she have to be that literal sometimes?”

“Who told you a marriage is always a bed of roses, angel boy?”

Tess voice made him turn around, “Tess, did you hear that?”

“Yes...” the supervisor spoke.

“It’s all her fault, Tess! I didn’t mean any of this! She got upset because of something that was on her mind!” the blond angel exclaimed, not believing that he and his sweet Monica had just had an argument.

“Objection, angel boy: she’s upset because you, who always spoiled her and never denied her anything, took away her coffee. And you and I know better than anyone else what coffee means to her!”

Equally upset, he took his coat and opened the apartment door, “Well, maybe it’s high time I stop being so lenient! If she doesn’t want to take care of her human form, I’ll do it, even if it means not pleasing her!” he left a second later, slamming the door behind him.

Frowning with concern, Tess looked upwards, “What’s going on here, Father? The world is upside down or something?”

Andrew sighed deeply as he remembered the very first argument he and his beloved angel girl had had a few days before. Fortunately, it hadn’t been anything serious but he hadn’t seen Monica since then, as, some time after he had left the apartment, the blond angel was informed that he would have to stay with his assignment permanently and it meant to stay in the neighbour town, which was a bit far. Besides this, now that things had chilled off, he could analyse things better and felt rather guilty for letting her go out without clearing the air first.

Working as a mechanic and trying to fix a car, he’d been listening to his assignment’s complaints for nearly two hours, since the young man had arrived there.

“... she’s too sentimental, cries for any reason and I never know if she’s in a good mood! Sometimes she gets mad at me for the most insignificant thing, Andrew!”

The blond angel took those words to his heart and nodded, his attention divided between the assignment and the little angel who would be part of his existence forever. “I see... But, do you really think this is a strong enough reason to break up the engagement? Can’t you both just sit together and talk?”

“She doesn’t want to talk when she has one of those ‘you don’t understand me’ attacks! And the more I try to make her see my reasons, the more she cries and tells me that I’m wrong! How can we go on with a relationship like this? The best thing to do is stop it right now before it’s too late!”

“But what if you’re wrong?” Andrew stopped working on the car and looked at him.

“How can I be wrong if I’ve known her for 2 years?”

“Steve, tell me something: if Diane was totally opposite to what she is, would you have fallen in love with her?”

That question took the young man by surprise and he stammered, “I... I can’t imagine Diane different from what she is...”

“And would you like to? You’re telling me that she’s over sentimental and that she exaggerates on things but what’s her heart really like? Hasn’t she done anything that made you feel proud of her? That made you feel happy because you had her love?”

It took the guy a few instants to reflect about the angel’s words and he finally spoke again, in a low voice. “Diane is... very generous... The most selfless person I’ve ever met, you know. She has a great sensibility and is easily moved when she sees somebody in need of help - she’s always ready to help, Andrew.” he smiled as another memory came to his mind, “And... when she gets mad, it’s usually because of an injustice, Diane cannot stand injustices and I remember that more than once she got into an argument to defend other people...”

Chuckling, as that description did remind him of “someone”, the blond angel nodded again and added, “Sounds like she has a great heart!”

“She does have...” the young man looked at Andrew again with a very guilty and regretful expression on his face, “... I guess I’ve made a mistake...”

The angel placed his hand on his shoulder, “Steve... marriage is not only a bed of roses all the time... it also means understanding and forgiving. You know those kind of who people complain all the time for what they don’t have but forget to thank for what they really have? Anyone can become these kind of people sometimes. Impatience, annoyance and sometimes problems that don’t even have to do with the one we love can make us blind for a few seconds and we end up saying angry words or losing the patience with the one who least deserves.”

“That’s... that’s what happened to Diane and me... I got so mad that I just... left. I should’ve tried to calm down and talk to her...”

“If you love that woman, if you really love her, there’s still time to fix this.”

“But the stupid car broke down!”

“Well, I’m heading that direction and if you want I could give you a ride.”

The man smiled gratefully at him, “Gee, thanks! You saved my life, Andrew!”

Chuckling, the blond angel took the red Cadillac out of the workshop garage and Steve came inside – they were both heading back to the same town Monica was staying and it secretly cheered the angel’s heart, as he too had some making up to do.

X

Monica held the heart shaped pendant in her necklace and let out another sigh. It’d been a few days her beloved Andrew had been called on an urgent assignment and she didn’t even have the opportunity to say goodbye. The argument about a cup of coffee has been a silly one, now she realised that, and so was her leaving the house without clearing things up first. Now, all that the Irish angel longed for was to apologise and hold him tightly, as every time they had to be away from each other days seemed like centuries.

A stifled sob took her out of her reverie, though, and she looked at the young woman standing next to her. They were both preparing the school hall for the valentine’s ball, which would happen that night, and although the decoration was almost finished, the expression on the woman’s face was one of sadness.

“Diane, please, don’t cry. It won’t help you at all, I’m sure Steve will reconsider and call you back...” Monica spoke, feeling sorry for her.

“I can’t stop thinking about what happened, Monica. now that I can see things clearly, I realise the argument Steve and I had was so silly, so...” she sighed deeply and lowered her head,”... and I’m ashamed for not giving him a chance to speak...”

Monica nodded her head, those words sure had a deeper meaning and caused her to remember the argument she and Andrew had had once again. Gently, the Irish angel guided the young woman up to some chairs and both sat down. “Diane, everybody makes mistakes and deserves a second chance.”

“I just wish he would listen to me!”

“Did you listen to him in the first place? did you give him a chance to talk about his feelings?”

“No, I... I started to cry and he left... he left... why couldn’t he stay, Monica?”

“Maybe because he was upset and couldn’t think properly, maybe because he was as nervous as you are and you both had different reactions to the same problem. You started to cry and he decided to go away and I can assure you that none of these attitudes lead to communication.”

Diana started to cry again, tears filled with regret, “What do I do now? I so want to apologise and tell him how much I love him, Monica. But I’m not really sure if he feels the same, if he wants the same...Not anymore...”

“How long have you been together, Diane?”

“For 2 years... We would get married at the end of this year...”

“And has he ever given you a proof of his love?”

That question really touched Diane and she shed some more tears, “Yes, many times... So many times...”

“Than I can only come to the conclusion that he loves you... And love doesn’t go away because of an unimportant argument...”

Sometime later, after several attempts, Diane hung up the phone and sighed, “It says his phone is not within area... He’s not in town, Monica. I guess... I guess this is it; Steve left me...”

“There you go again, saying things you’re not sure of!” Monica looked at her straight in the eyes, “Diane, love, real love is holy; it’s a gift from God and if He gave it to you both it’s because He trusts you to use it the bast way you can.”

“I know... And Steve is constantly on the road, travelling around the nearby cities and I’m always worried about him...”

“Then why don’t you say a prayer? Why don’t you ask God to keep Steve and bring him back to you so that you two can talk?”

“I will... I love him so much...”

“And I’m sure that God has great plans for the love you both share!”

X

Later, at night, the Valentine’s ball started and although she tried to focus on her assignment, Monica couldn’t help feeling the sadness that was inside her heart. Tess had showed up and told her that Andrew was somewhere in the other city, working on an assignment and that he would remain there until his mission was fulfilled. But staying away from him was always painful, especially they hadn’t spoken since the argument, and being that Valentine’s day only made the little angel feel sadder.

Standing in a corner, observing the couples dancing a romantic song and permanently holding the heart shaped pendant, Monica sighed and remember the Valentines day in the pervious year, when she and Andrew wondered if one day they would be allowed to be joined like a human couple, if God would bless their union and their love – which was so strong that had both characteristics: angelic and human. Hardly did they know then that this day was closer than expected.

“Oh, Andrew... my dear Andrew... Even if we cannot be together please remember how much I love you...” she whispered, before hearing her assignment’s voice, “It’s useless, Monica, he won’t come back...”

“Diane, never give up hope. If he doesn’t come back today, remember there’s always tomorrow...”

A little boy, aged around 7, came closer to them and interrupted their conversation, “Excuse me, miss. Somebody asked me to give you this...”

The little boy gave her a heart shaped paper, “Oh, my... I didn’t come here to find another date... I just couldn’t...”

“Why don’t you open it?” Monica suggested, always fascinated with the romantic ways human beings could invent to say ‘I love you’. And somehow she felt that reading that paper was the right thing to do.

“Monica, I couldn’t!”

“You don’t know who it is...”

Diane sighed and decided to open the small paper heart. In it, two simple sentences made her heart jump: “I love you. Please, forgive me.”

The young woman felt her heart beating faster and then she looked around her, searching for someone very special, “Oh, God...” she exclaimed, when, right across the hall, her beloved Steve gazed at her with loving eyes. Quickly, Diane crossed the distance between them, passing by many couples who danced a love song and finally the two of them could hold each other, in a tight, warm embrace, “I’m sorry, baby; I love you so much!”

“I’m sorry too, Steve. I... I feel so ashamed for arguing at someone I love so much!”

“I’m the one who’s ashamed. I left without talking to you and I couldn’t do it until now. My car broke down...” he pulled away and looked at her, “but none of this matters now: we’re together!”

From a certain distance, Monica watched with contentment as the couple finally shared a loving kiss, putting an end to their argument. But that scene also brought a little bit of sadness to her heart, as once again she remembered her beloved Andrew and how much she longed to hold him again. The little boy whose parents owned the school, looked at the Irish angel fascinated with her beauty and decided he wouldn’t miss the opportunity, “May I have this dance?”

A lovely smile appeared on Monica’s face and she took his proffered hand, “Charmed!”

The Irish angel felt some of her sadness go away for a few moments while she danced with her young partner. When the song finished, the little boy politely guided her back to where she was and both bid each other farewell. Giggling, Monica watched as he took his mom’s hand and left the hall and it was then that a sudden voice spoke from behind her, “I wonder if I can have the next dance...”

Monica placed her hand against her heart at the sound of that familiar voice and felt a wave of emotion filling her soul. She quickly turned around with tears already pricking her eyes and saw Andrew standing there, gazing at her with the usual tenderness and great love.

“Andrew...” was all she managed to say, moving to wrap her arms around his neck in a tight hug. Smiling and with his heart aching with love for that sweet and warm hearted creature, the blond angel slipped his strong arms around her waist, returning the embrace with the same intensity. “Oh, angel... My angel girl...” he spoke, against her hair, kissing her shoulder and intoxicated with her sweet perfume.

“I’m terribly sorry!” the Irish angel pulled away just enough to look at him, “Are you still mad at me?”

“Mad? Oh, angel, I was never mad at you...” he reached up and caressed her cheek, feeling twice terrible for letting her go out like that, “... I’m the one who’s sorry, I’m the one who should apologise... you’re very, very precious to me, Monica and never again I want to see you crying because of me...” he wiped away the tears on her face.

“I’m not crying because of you,” she sniffled and blushed a little, “... I’m crying because of me... I was such a fool to argue with you because of a cup of coffee...”

He couldn’t help but chuckling and after brushing a tender kiss on her forehead, he lay his palm on her cheek, “I can’t imagine you arguing with me for any other reason than your mocha! I should’ve known better than to take it away from you, my sweet angel girl!”

Now Monica blushed deeply and let out a small giggle, mixed with a sob, “But... I love you more than I love coffee, you know that, don’t you?”

Now laughing openly, he nodded, “I confess that I had a slight suspicion!” Then, Andrew cupped her chin and looked straight into her brown pools, seeing all her love she felt for him reflected in there, “I love you, angel. I love you forever... Happy Valentine’s Day!”

“Happy Valentine’s Day too, Andrew!”

They crossed the small distance between them and their lips met a second later, in a soulful, sweet kiss. Andrew also kissed the tip of her nose, the corner of her lips and her cheeks, “My sweet angel valentine!”

With a broad smile, she held him again and that was when the next song started to play. At the sound of “Valentine,” from John Brickman, Andrew offered her his hand, “You didn’t answer to my question... May I have this dance?”

“Always...” she replied, with a smile that melted his heart for the thousandth time since they had ever met. Both walked up to the dance floor and, never breaking the eye contact, stood face to face. the blond angel circled her waist and brought her closer to him. she placed one hand over his shoulder and the other held his hand.

“This song just for you, angel! It says some of the things I wanted to say to you all these days we were apart from each other...” he whispered into her ear, and then they started to sway elegantly with the slow rhythm of the melody.

[i]Valentine (John Brickman)

If there were no words
no way to speak
I would still hear you
If there were no tears
no way to feel inside
I'd still feel for you

And even if the sun refused to shine
even if romance ran out of rhyme
you would still have my heart until the end of time
you're all I need, my love, my valentine


All of my life
I been waiting for
all you give to me
you've opened my eyes
and showed me how to love unselfishly

I've dreamed of this a thousand times before
but in my dreams I couldn’t love you more
I will give you my heart
until the end of time
you're all I need, my love, my valentine

And even if the sun refused to shine
even if romance ran out of rhyme
you would still have my heart until the end of time
cause all I need is you my valentine
you're all I need, my love, my valentine
[/i]

“I love it... it’s perfect...” she replied, enchanted with the loving lyrics. The couple of angels only broke the eye contact when Andrew kissed her forehead and then she rested her head on his shoulder, letting out a contented sigh. “I love dancing with you...”

“I can say exactly the same... Which reminds me: you do owe me an explanation, Mrs!” her eyebrows knitted together with confusion, “An explanation?”

“Yep! Who was that little buddy dancing with you a few minutes ago and obviously making eyes at you, huh?”

The sound of her giggles was definitely the best sound he’d ever heard as it would always fill her heart with joy. She raised her head, with eyes bright with love, and kissed his chin, “You’re so cute when you get mad!”

X

The two angels danced some more songs together before Andrew guided her to the exit of the hall, “Where are we going, Andrew?”

“Well... right before I came here, I had to stop at a certain place to prepare something special for a certain angel...”

Monica eyed him with an inquisitive expression on her face, “You could use some more clear words, you know?”

He kissed her cheek, “I know. But it would spoil the fun! All I can say is that I’ll kidnap you for a few hours, angel...”

She stopped walking and looked at him with an adorable mix of confusion and curiosity on her face, “Kidnap me?”

“Yes...” he reached inside the pocket of his jacket and took a scarf, “Could you close your eyes, please?”

Looking at the piece of fabric and then at him, still with a puzzled expression, she obliged to his request and Andrew covered her eyes with it.

“Andrew, what are you doing?” she asked, burning with curiosity.

He took her free hand in his own and placed his other hand around her waist, to guide her along the lane, “There’s a place I want you to go with me. Don’t worry, angel, I’m here at your side, I won’t let you fall.”

“I know that, Andrew; I want to know where you’re taking me!” she insisted, now with some impatience, but only managed to make him kiss her cheek again.

He guided her up to the end of the street, where Tess’ Cadillac had been parked. Then, the blond angel made her stop and opened the door for her. “We’ll drive for a few minutes...” he helped her to get in and closed the door, rushing to the other side of the vehicle, taking the driver’s seat.

“Can’t I lift the scarf just a wee bit?” the little Irish angel asked, touching the fabric.

“Nope! You’re forbidden to do it!”

She let out an unsatisfied sigh and had to accept his orders, knowing that he wouldn’t put an end to her curiosity anytime soon.

X

Andrew drove for about 40 minutes and all this time Monica remained with her eyes covered, and even if she was burning with curiosity, he didn’t allow her to remove the handkerchief. The blond angel talked to her all the time, though, and occasionally squeezed her hand so that she could feel he was there. When they finally arrived at their destination, though, Monica could feel the soft breeze of the ocean blowing against her face and a lump formed in her throat. “Andrew...”

“I guess you must have a slight suspicion of where we are, right angel? I won’t keep you waiting anymore...”

Gently, he removed the piece of cloth around her head and she opened her eyes: they were at a deserted beach, the same beach where they had spent their honeymoon, several months earlier. Since then, they hadn’t returned there.

“The beach... our beach...” the Irish angel exclaimed, her eyes bright with emotion to remember all the good moments that they had there: she spent the best days of her existence in that place.

“Come with me,” Andrew offered a hand a helped her out of the car, “The house is over there. We can take a walk on the beach tomorrow morning, baby. It’s a bit cold right now.”

“The beach house...” Despite the tears in her eyes, she soon viewed the cosy cottage in front of the ocean and, as they climbed the porch steps, Andrew made her stop. “This is my Valentine’s present for you, sweetie. I hope you like it...”

Moved with emotion, she tenderly caressed his cheek, “My best Valentine’s present will always be you, Andrew. Always you.”

He took her loving words to his heart and kissed her palm, “Aren’t you opening the door?”

Suspecting that there was something else he was hiding, Monica turned the knob and pushed the door open. And then, one more time, her mouth dropped open with what she saw: there were roses everywhere, in the entire house. And there weren’t only red roses: a multitude of different colours was spread along the rooms, some of them were in bunches, beautifully decorated, others were alone, inside small vases.

Speechless and now with tears rolling down her cheeks, she turned to the blond angel, who had a pleased smile on his face, “Andrew... I... I don’t know what to say...”

“You don’t have to say anything, angel. I can easily read what’s in your eyes and in your heart...” he spoke, caressing her face once again.

“I love you so much... So much, Andrew, that sometimes I feel like crying because I can’t find enough words to tell you so...”

He brushed a tiny kiss on her lips and then took her hand, “You tell me that everyday, sweetie, in every possible ways you can imagine.”

She walked along the rooms, looking around them, astonished and enchanted with the decoration. Their bedroom was the last room she entered and on their bed, over her pillow, there was one single red rose with a card.

“I wanted to return all this love you give me by finding the right words for you too,” Andrew spoke, standing behind her and softly caressing her arms up and down, “They say roses speak for themselves and I guess they do... but even so, I wrote you this card...”

Smiling and with tears falling freely from her soft brown eyes, Monica sat down at the edge of the bed and took the rose and the card. She ran her fingers through the soft paper before opening it and when the blond angel sat down beside her, she looked back at him. “You have the sweetest and most loving heart in this whole universe, Andrew... I’m so blessed to have you...”

The blond angel put a few strands of hair behind her ear and tenderly caressed her cheek, “No... you’re the one with the loving heart!” he kissed her lips softly and when they parted she finally opened the card. In it, a loving message written by Andrew himself.

[i]The meaning of the roses:

Red: Love, Beauty, Courage and Respect, Romantic Love, Congratulations, I Love You, Job Well Done, Sincere Love, Respect, Courage & Passion.

Dark red: Unconscious beauty.

Single red: I love you.

White: Purity, Innocence, Silence, Secrecy, Reverence, Humility, Youthfulness, I am worthy of you, Heavenly, Happy love.

Pink: Appreciation, "Thank you", Grace, Perfect Happiness, Admiration, Gentleness, Please Believe Me.

Dark pink: Appreciation, Gratitude, Thank You.

Light pink: Admiration, Sympathy, Gentleness, Grace, Gladness, Joy, Sweetness.

Yellow: Joy, Gladness, Friendship, Delight, Promise of a new beginning, Welcome Back, Remember Me, "I care."

Yellow with red tip: Friendship, Falling in Love.

Orange: Enthusiasm, Fascination.

Red and white: Given together, these signify unity.

Red and yellow: Jovial and Happy Feelings.

Peach: Appreciation, Closing of the deal, Let's get together, Sincerity, Gratitude.

Pale peach: Modesty.

Lavender: Love at first sight, Enhancement.

Red rosebud: Symbolic of purity and Loveliness.

My precious Monica,

The roses, in their many colours and different meanings, were the best way I found to express all the loving feelings you inspire in me, my sweet angel girl. When I look at them, I see the same colours I see in you, and they express all the same wonderful sentiments that are inside your loving heart. That’s why having your love means that I’m the most blessed creature in the whole universe. I’m so grateful for everything that comes from you, my love; for all the seconds of your existence that you devote to me.

Thank you for loving me, angel.[/i]

Sobbing, she looked at him with a crying smile and threw herself into his arms, holding him tightly as she clung around his neck. “I love you... You’re my everything... My most precious blessing...”

“So are you, baby... Happy Valentine’s day again... I love you!” he spoke, tenderly combing her long auburn hair with his fingers, as if committing to memory every single strand and its sweet perfume. Andrew allowed her a few moments to recover and then pulled away, gently wiping her tears, “Well... With you, all my days are Valentine’s day anyway!”

Monica reached out to touch his face, running her slender fingers along his cheek and lips, “You always bring the sun to my heart... that’s why it’s always filled with happiness... And I promise you, Andrew, that I’ll make your days happy ones for the rest of eternity...”

“You already do it, angel,” he replied, kissing her lips softly while stroking her cheek. When they pulled away she smiled shyly and reached inside the pocket of her jacket – which he had gently draped around her shoulders during the ride to the beach house.

“I... I also bought you something, you know. It’s not something as wonderful as what you did for me, but I... I chose it with much love and just hope you like it...” she said, handing him a small velvet box. The blond angel quickly took her hand and kissed her palm, “Although you didn’t have to give me anything other than your love, I love absolutely everything that comes from you, Monica.”

He opened the small box and found a beautiful silver chain with a Celtic knot pendant. “Oh, angel... it’s beautiful...” he said, really pleased with the gift.

“It’s the Celtic love knot, you know. The single continuous line of this knot symbolises eternal love and fidelity,” she explained.

“Then I understand why you chose it, baby.” he kissed her lips one more time, “Thank you, I love it... It’s perfect as everything else that comes from you.”

“Let me see what it looks like on you?” the little angel asked, excitedly as she saw he really loved the present.

“Sure!”

She passed the chain around his neck and fastened the clasp in its back, then she stood up to inspect her work and pointed at the Celtic knot pendant, “Now when we’re apart, you too have something to remind you of me... of our eternal love.” His heart melted with the smile on her face and before he could reply to that, she kept on talking, “I know what you’re gonna say: that you don’t need it to remind me of me but that you’ll keep it right close to your heart, as one more evidence of our love!”

Laughing, the blond angel took her hand and kissed the back of it, “How did you get so wise, huh?”

“Well... I guess it’s because it’s you I’m talking about and it’s easier to talk about something... or someone... that you love! Like a valentine!”

Still smiling, he pulled her to sit on his lap and wrapped his strong arms around her waist, carefully studying her meek features, “I couldn’t agree more, my sweet valentine, if all the moments I’m alone it’s you that I keep on contemplating on my mind... treasuring all your adorable traits!”

Monica felt pleasant butterflies in the stomach as his warm breath tickled her lips and his green pools broke the contact with her soft brown eyes. Andrew couldn’t resist to her tempting rosy lips and inched closer to kiss them one more time, sure that there wasn’t anything sweeter than the flavour of her mouth. Monica surrendered to that sweet caress and returned it with the same intensity, wrapping her arms around his neck and tilting her head so that their kiss deepened.

“I love you...” he heard her saying, as he trailed tiny kisses on her neck and gently removed her jacket, which fell on the floor, leaving her white soft skin more exposed to him. “I love you too, angel...” was his reply, as now he kissed her earlobe, causing her to feel a lump forming on her throat.

The blond angel encircled her waist, running his fingers through her hair, caressing her soft skin, and their lips collided once again. When they parted it was just for a few seconds, as another kiss started, as deep and just as loving as the first one – and as all the ones that came later on, together with gentle caresses and whispered loving words.

On that starry and happy Valentine’s night the two angels turned into humans fell asleep in each other’s arms, lulled by the sound of the crashing waves at a distance and by the beating of their hearts, which followed the same rhythm and seemed to repeat the words ‘I love you’ permanently and for the rest of eternity.

To be continued