Episode 15

Until we meet again

The first sunrays shone across the blue sky and anyone who happened to pass by that beautiful beach early in that morning would think it was deserted – but it wasn’t. Hand in hand, two heavenly beings walked along the white sand and, despite the beautiful scenario around them, it was possible to notice a trace of sadness in their eyes.

In silence, they walked up to the very end of the shore, where they finally stopped, and turned to face each other. Andrew, then, held Monica’s both hands and looked deep inside her sparkling brown eyes, not missing the sorrow that was lingering in them. The angels had been joined for the rest of eternity with the Father’s blessing and, in their human forms, they had spent the two most wonderful weeks of their existence in that secluded part of the earth, sheltered in the beach house, sharing the immense love they felt for each other – the most precious gift the Father had given them.

But now those days were over and it was time to go back to their assignments around the world, to accomplish God’s work by helping people and taking messages of faith and love to the ones in need. And, if on one side they were feeling sad because they were going to be apart for some time, on the other, the angels were happy to be messengers of their loving Father. Besides, they knew that that separation would last only a short time and, soon, they would be together again.

“Remember you promised that you wouldn’t cry!” the blond angel said, with tenderness on his face despite the (mock) stern tone in his voice.

His beloved Monica gave a short smile and a small sigh, “I... I won’t... Because I know that this is only temporary and that we’ll see each other again soon...” she spoke, as an obedient little girl repeating a lesson that she had previously been taught.

He couldn’t help but smile broadly, now releasing one of her hands to caress her cheek, committing to memory every little trait of her meek face. “That’s my angel... my one and only angel...”

That sentence came together with a proud look in his green pools, which caused the Irish angel to also smile broadly at him, “Yes, I am... and I’ll be for the rest of eternity...”

“Yes... and I thank God for that... Now let me hold you once more, angel, please...” it took her only a split second to throw herself in his arms, which were already wide open to her, and rest her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeats, “... I love you so much, Monica.” he whispered, inhaling the sweet perfume of her hair and kissing the top of her head repeatedly.

“Your heart is telling me this right now, you know?” she sighed deeply and closed her eyes for a few moments.

“Hum... good; but I’ll never get tired of telling you that myself...” she let out a small giggle and raised her head to look at him again, “Well, I’ll never get tired of listening to it either...”

Andrew tugged some strands of hair behind her ear and kissed the tip of her nose, “We have a deal, then!”

They gazed at each other for a while, their silence speaking millions of loving words. Finally, Andrew pulled away and reached for something in the pocket of his jacket, “Since... since you’ve mentioned the ‘heart subject’, I... I have something for you...”

He placed a small blue velvet box in her hand and watched with his heart swelling with love as her face turned to a questioning and confused one, “Andrew... what’s... what’s this?”

“You’re gonna have to open it, angel, I’m not gonna finish with this curiosity of yours!” he was clearly having fun with her surprised eyes. Monica carefully untied the red ribbon that was around the box and then finally opened it. Inside, she found a gold necklace with two tiny pendants: one was a small dove and the other, a heart.

“Oh, Andrew! Andrew, it’s beautiful!” she exclaimed, lost for words with such a delicate gift. “You shouldn’t have to! I love it!”

“Let me put it on you, angel.”

As she turned her back to him, he took the necklace in his hands and gently put her hair aside, so that he could place the jewel around her neck. Then, the blond angel fastened the clasp and made her turn around so that he could see it shining against her chest.

“You make it look so beautiful, Monica...”

She let out a small giggle, fighting hardly the tears that were threatening to fall at any minute, “You didn’t have to... You gave me so much already...”

“Not even 1 per cent of everything I want to give you...” then, he reached out and took the small dove between his fingers, “This little dove is to remind you of God’s love; that it’s always with you. And this other one...” now he took the heart pendant, “... is to remind you of my love... to remind you that my heart is also with you, wherever you go, angel.”

That statement was enough to ruin all his previous work in trying to convince her not to cry. Without any other choice, he held the sobbing angel in his arms once again and started to run his fingers through her auburn hair and to rub her back in an attempt to calm her. “... but I know that you don’t need anything to remind you of these two special kinds of love...” Andrew spoke, kissing the side of her head.

“I love you so much...” she managed to speak, a few moments later, “... so much, Andrew, that my heart seems too small to keep such an immense feeling!”

“Well, now you have an extra one to help you!” he joked, happy to hear a small giggle in reply. Andrew pulled away just a few inches and started to wipe her tears with gentle fingers. “Shh... don’t cry, my angel. As you said, we’ll be together again soon.”

She sniffled and sighed deeply, trying to control herself, “I know... And... I’ll try not to cry anymore, I promise I’ll try!”

Not really sure if she would manage to fulfil that promise, Andrew pulled her closer and brushed a loving kiss on her forehead, “I’m carrying you right here in my heart, angel. And whenever I feel sad or lonely, I’ll remember your beautiful smile, your voice, this lovely accent you have... I’ll remember the sweetness and innocence I can see in your eyes, how beautiful you are and all the love we share... And I want you to do the same, will you? Please, remember all the moments we had next to each other.”

“Yes... I will...” she nodded her head, a slight smile reappearing on her face as he mentioned those things.

Happy to see that sudden change and really feeling that her own heart was lighter, the blond angel lay both hands on each side of her head and smiled, “Close your eyes, Monica...”

She studied each and every detail of his handsome face, giving special attention to his bright green eyes before obeying his request. Then, Andrew bent his head and gently pressed his lips against hers, in a slow tender kiss, full of deep love. Monica covered his hands with hers as he tenderly brushed her temple with his thumbs, never breaking that sweet kiss. Little by little, the blond angel’s physical form started to fade, although the feeling of his loving kiss continued. Finally, his image disappeared completely and only a few seconds later did Monica open her eyes, realising that her beloved Andrew had finally left to some part of the world.

Sighing deeply, she placed her hand on her lips, as if trying to still feel his own lips; a small tear escaping from her soft brown eyes. Suddenly, she heard a dear, familiar voice right behind her.

“Baby?”

The Irish angel turned around and saw Tess smiling at her – Andrew wouldn’t leave her all alone on that deserted place if he didn’t know that the beloved supervisor would be there immediately after he had gone. And, truth to be told, Monica was happy to see the oldest angel, who she loved deeply as a real mother.

A smile appeared on her teary face and she rushed towards the supervisor, who had the arms wide open to her, “Oh, Tess! It’s so good to see you again!”

“Come here, angel girl! Give me a hug, baby!” Tess spoke, both sharing a warm embrace. Then, the supervisor pulled away and placed her hand on Monica’s face, “Let me look at you, angel girl! Oh no! Have you been crying?” she frowned with concern. The younger angel nodded her head still with a trace of sadness, “Well... yes... Andrew has just left, you know, and I don’t know when I’ll see him again...”

“Oh, baby, you will see him soon, I’m sure you will! How in the world would the Father keep you and your angel boy apart for a long time, huh?” Tess gently reassured her, and then smiled again, “And... Hum... Despite those tears I can see a certain light in your eyes and all over your face... Angel girl, I guess you’re in love, baby!”

Unable to stay serious after that comment, a broad smile reappeared on Monica’s face and she wrapped an arm around Tess’ one. “I’m afraid you’re right, you know?” she replied, as if confessing a secret. Happily chatting, the two started to walk towards the Cadillac, parked not far from there, and after they got into the vehicle, Tess started the motor and they left the deserted beach.

To be continued